1. “Space [...] is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.”
2. “I’d take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day. My favorite piece of information is that Branwell Brontë, brother of Emily and Charlotte, died standing up leaning against a mantelpiece, in order to prove it could be done. This is not quite true, in fact. My absolute favorite piece of information is the fact that young sloths are so inept that they frequently grab their own arms and legs instead of tree limbs, and fall out of trees.”
3. “Hey! What's this thing coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding word like ... ow ... ound... round... ground! That's it! That's a good name—ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me?”
4. “He's spending a year dead for tax reasons.”
5. “There is a feeling which persists in England that making a sandwich interesting, attractive, or in any way pleasant to eat is something sinful that only foreigners do.``Make 'em dry,'' is the instruction buried somewhere in the collective national consciousness."
6. “If I were not an atheist, I think I would have to be a Catholic because if it wasn't the forces of natural selection that designed fish, It must have been an Italian.”
The Salmon of Doubt
7. “I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”
8. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
9. “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
10. “I don't want to die now! I've still got a headache! I don't want to go to heaven with a headache, I'd be all cross and wouldn't enjoy it!”
Want more Douglas Adams? Read Neil Gaiman’s Don’t Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!